Monday, May 31, 2010

H.O.P.E. Challenge 2010

Today marks the first day of a summer long fitness challenge that we're doing at work. We're doing a 12 week fitness challenge for the clients and staff that will put an emphasis on low-impact exercising and overall health & wellness. A co-worker will lead interested clients and staff in "boot camp" three days a week and during case management I'll spend a few weeks focusing on health and nutrition. I'm pretty excited. So much so in fact, that I became more than a little convicted about my lack of interest in exercising.

I've recently re-joined the YMCA and have starting exercising more. I really don't enjoy it, but as the weeks have passed I find that I don't mind going as much and at times, even look forward to going. If only because each cardio machine at the branch I go to has a tv on it and I can watch cable, something we don't have at home.

My newest venture at the Y has been the weight machines/equipment. I've always felt intimidated by them and just avoided them. Despite Howie telling me how much I'd enjoy it, I just didn't bother. Last week though I finally got up the nerve to sign up for a fitquest appointment to get my number to login to the machines and to be shown how to use them. What I found was that I actually enjoy it. I admit I'm still slightly intimidated by them, but it's better than before. Using them though, makes me feel strong. It's a relatively dummy proof system and when you log out at the end of your workout, you get a summary of how many total pounds you've lifted. Yesterday, I lifted 4,480. That makes me feel like I'm incredibly strong.

Maybe one day I'll lift enough to make the pounds equivalent to the size of an elephant...

No comments:

Post a Comment